Monday, October 6, 2014

|| rogue pelican ||


A few weeks ago, Leon came to our room after register and asked if I wanted to see a bird.  While we both have a mutual appreciation + love for birds, my first reaction after feeding an infant in the middle of the night was, "Huh?!" He said, "No, really.  It's interesting.  It's a pelican and the watchmen found it in one of the paddocks next to the cows." 

Now my interest was piqued.


I could not believe my eyes.  I'm not sure I've ever been that close to a pelican.  I didn't realize how big of a bird it really is.  

It is very strange that such a bird was found on our farm.  According to the map below, we are northeast and northwest of two large national parks in our country.  The pelican could have come from either of these.  It was probably sick and/or old and wandered away from its natural habitat.  


What an interesting find on an average weekday!


No comments: