Wednesday, May 25, 2016

|| applesauce ||


A while back, I asked on a mommy Facebook group some ideas for snacks and lunches.  Because there's not many convenience foods, I really struggle with snacks and lunch ideas.  I had a very few suggestions, but it was mostly *crickets*.  :) 

But soon after that, I remembered one convenience food in the States - applesauce!!  Most of the recipes I found online were for crockpots and I don't have one.  I tried making applesauce on the stovetop and it didn't come out that nicely.

This week, I told my maid to buy a specific type of apple in the market.  But unbeknownst to me, they were yucky and mealy.  So I thought I'd try my hand again at applesauce.

I nailed it!  It tastes just like my Mom's except she would put Red Hot's in hers for a bit of kick.

So here goes the recipe if you're interested.

You need:

8 apples
2 cups of water (too much; you can use less but I'll tell you how I made it work)
3 tablespoons of sugar
1 tablespoon of cinnamon

Peel and core apples.  Chop into chunks.  Put in a 2 quart saucepan with water, sugar, and cinnamon.
Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 2 hours.  Leave the lid off so the excess water cooks off.  Once cool, quickly whizz in the blender.  

We are going into winter here and I struggle like anything this time of year.  You all are posting pictures of county fairs and berry pies and flip flops.  And I'm over here like -- give me another scarf and a pair of boots in my frigid house.  But I am determining to make the most of this season and eventually, I will come to enjoy it.  

Homemade applesauce is a baby step in the right direction for me to enjoy winter.  It truly is a comforting, beautiful, winter smell in the house plus the taste is great.

2 comments:

Mrs.T said...

Applesauce is great for using up apples of any type -- soft and mealy, old and withered, even dry and unflavorful. I use brown sugar in my applesauce, and I think my pastor's wife used to use honey. I also add a little nutmeg in addition to the cinnamon.

Do you own the More With Less Cookbook? I believe the author's name was Doris Jantzen Longacre. This is a spiral bound Mennonite cookbook -- I think it's out of print but it's worth looking for on Amazon. Lots of basic recipes using simple ingredients -- and many were used by American cooks living in third world countries. You might find it really helpful.

Beth said...

It is hard getting your brain around the seasons, isn't it!? The calendar says it's May, but my head still thinks October. :-) It's funny scrolling through Facebook seeing my friends and family having picnics and barbeques and I'm wearing 3 layers, drinking hot tea, and sitting in front of the heater. We've been in New Zealand for 10 years now and I think I'm finally starting to get it sorted.