Monday, March 13, 2017

|| Zondi ||


When most (all) people hear that we employ maids on the farm, their instant thought is:  πŸ’°πŸ’°πŸ’°.  Wow!!  They are so rich!  

To which our reply is:  πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ 

NOT!

We employ maids because that's part of the culture here.  It's not necessarily an indicator of wealth.  We are expected to have maids to create employement.  Salaries buy food, clothes, and school fees.  

When I was first married, I resisted having a maid.  I actually am one of those very strange humans that enjoys housework.  But that lasted about 7 months into marriage.  An older, wiser farmer's wife told me, "Because we don't have to iron our clothes or wash our dishes, we can concentrate on other things - things that really interest us.  So find out what your interest is and do it."  I didn't get it at first because I *was* interested in housework.  Now, I get it.  My interests include: my kids, doing the farm accounts, baking, my shop, and just plain living life here, which, to be honest is quite exhausting.  If I had to scrub my floors and wash every single plate and utensil, I wouldn't have time to be a human.  

My maid (pictured above) is named Zondi and I absolutely adore her.  She's on leave right now.  Every year, employees get one month of paid leave.  They seldom take it but they are paid for it.  Then, a woman receives three months of paid maternity leave.  About six or seven weeks ago, Zondi started fainting at work.  So I made her go on her month's leave and then go on maternity leave which started this month.  And she's supposed to have this baby any time!!  I'm so anxious for it to be born!!  

I feel a massive responsibility towards Zondi and her family.  Her husband is Leon's right hand guy.  Her little girl is six months older than Liesl and the second baby will be 7-8 months younger than Jules.  I remember as a little child in Sunday school hearing the story of Ruth.  It always intrigued me that Ruth went to a field to glean from the reapers.  The fact that providing for the poor was expected and common place.  That is how it is here.  Instead of a resale shop, we have our employees to give our extras to.  Today, I took two bags of baby stuff to Zondi's house.  It is so nice to know that nothing is wasted here!  There's always willing hands to use and take our extras.

No comments: