Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Congolian/Mongolian


One of the fun dinners we did while my family was here was a Mongolian barbecue.  How close it was to the real thing, I'll never know.  I've never been to Mongolia and don't plan on ever visiting.  But it is something my in-law family has done for years.  It is great fun!

We affectionately refer to it as a "Congolian" as that is what our cook calls it.  :)

The ingredients are easy, although a lot of prep, but the actual dinner is laid-back and easy-going.  

We chop up beef fillet and chicken breasts.  For vegetables, we chop cabbage, carrots, broccoli, baby marrow, onion, etc... Sauces include Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, sweet and sour sauce, olive oil, and sugar water.  We also make a big bowl of rice.


In the kitchen, we have all the ingredients laid out.  For some, there's an absolute science involved in the Mongolian.  For me, I just dish up what I like and throw it on the braii while trying not to add too much soy sauce!


Some of us need REALLY big spatulas to braii.


A Mongolian barbecue is a fun, relaxing way to enjoy company.  We can only fit about four people on our braii at the same time while the others wait around sipping Cokes and enjoying the fellowship.  

SInce I've been married, we've done three Mongolian braiis.  My sister-in-law organized the first one back in October.  I couldn't stop raving about how much fun it is!  My family enjoyed theirs as well.  Come and visit and we'll do one for you, too!




2 comments:

Heather said...

Mmmm... looks amazing!
How are you feeling, little Momma?

Rebecca said...

I am feeling SO good, Heather....20 weeks next Friday and another doctor's appointment the same day. :)