Sunday, August 30, 2015

|| the pottery man ||


In our town, this man is known for his pottery.  Prior to my trips to the States, my sister-in-law and I stopped by his place.  I wanted to buy a few small gifts to take back home.  Unfortunately, Mr. Luckson had been busy for a while so he didn't have a huge selection.

However, Mr. Luckson gave us a tour of his studio!  My goodness.  What this man produces on so little.  It is truly humbling.  He also threw a bowl while we were there.  All of the clay is gathered locally.  Every step of the pottery making process is done by him right there.  The only product from outside sources is the glaze.   


BEGINNING....


TAKING SHAPE...


SWITCHING OFF THE WHEEL.  THERE YOU HAVE IT!


And this is his kiln....


The kiln is completely handmade and heated by electrical coils inside (you can see them a bit to the left).  When he is ready to fire, he bricks up the front.

I was absolutely amazed by the limited resources he has yet he continues his craft.  Two of my favorite pieces of his are a mid-sized bowl that I use for fruit and a gorgeous pitcher that my sister-in-law designed.

Seeing Mr. Luckson throwing the pottery on the wheel really brought life to the verse Isaiah 64:8.

          But now, O Lord, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we are all the     work of thy hand.

1 comment:

African Queen said...

Rebecca, I love the potter. He is so talented. Here are two links to videos I took last year while there- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6wmEUM0ynM and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2NOd0mmodA It really is a great picture of God molding and making us after His will.