Tuesday, May 3, 2011

::squaring up fabric::

I took Home Ec class when I was in eighth grade but I promise I was one of the worst students ever!

Now, that I've taken a few sewing classes in Chicago, I [love] to sew!  One of the best benefits to taking a sewing class is learning simple tricks that will make the finished product the best it can be.

One important thing I have learned is squaring up fabric.

It's really easy.  Just line up the edges of your cut fabric up to a straight edge [table, ruler, rotary cutting mat] and make sure the edges are square.

Here is how my fabric looked this morning:

Not only did I have to square up the fabric, I sliced a bit off with the rotary cutter.  :)

To get your fabric looking all square like this, you have to stretch gently to "pull" the fabric the direction it needs to go.


Now it's all squared up!



What are your thoughts on this?  Do you square up your fabric?

I had never heard the term until I took that sewing class and I'm so glad that I did!

One more thing....I will be sending out a newsletter for my shop today, HEY!

Do you want to receive it?

Click here!

Happy Tuesssssssssssssday!

No comments: